Find Deck Staining in Greenwood, Delaware
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are some advantages of staining my deck vs painting it?
Deck staining and painting offer unique benefits, so it's important to analyze which option best suits your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest benefits of painting are its wider selection of colors and enhanced surface shielding. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance because of flaking and fading over time. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly cured, needs minimal effort to care for, and has other benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing a deep layer of protection against water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the advantages of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is best for your needs.
Is the cost of professional deck staining offset by any real benefits?
Staining a deck provides many advantages, including enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that will help reinvigorate the style of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional to ensure excellent results. The weather in Greenwood, DE is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the type of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include stopping bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How much time should I expect a professional to take to finish deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multipart process that needs careful preparation and application to achieve the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleaned of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks properly. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to enable a smooth application of the stain. Anything around the work area, including pathways and structures, will have to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you understand the best type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to put on as many coats as are needed for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to dry. It's critical that the deck is not used and that the weather is acceptable during the drying step.
Each of these steps can be challenging and tedious, but proper execution is critical to ensure the best result. A dependable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to complete the job quickly while achieving the desired look and durability.
Is there a certain time of year that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get the best results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining any deck works best when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot or cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive moisture will prolong drying times and increase the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long drying will take, and it's required that it stays dry during this time. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Greenwood, DE on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its look and providing long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to protect the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that experts can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives better variety of colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it chips away under frequent use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining any deck calls for a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Performing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring a professional who can ensure stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Greenwood, DE and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.