Find Deck Staining in Laurel, Delaware
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are the advantages of staining a deck versus painting it?
Deck staining and painting offer different benefits, so it's important to analyze which option most meets your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are the extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface shielding. However, paint also demands more maintenance because of flaking and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel if properly dried, needs minimal effort to care for, and has more benefits, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering better defense against water, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which option will be best for you and your home.
Why do so many homeowners say deck staining is a smart investment?
Staining a deck provides several advantages, including enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a variety of hues and opacities that can help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your house and grounds. You're not as limited as you might think by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor to ensure excellent results. The weather in Laurel, Delaware is the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how strong the kind of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
What steps are followed with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious process that needs careful preparation and execution to obtain the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleaned of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks well. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired of any damage to enable a smooth application of the stain. The environment immediately outside of the work area, like walkways and structures, will have to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you choose the best type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to put on as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to cure. It's essential that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is acceptable throughout the drying step.
All of these steps can be complex and time-consuming, but performing them correctly is critical to ensure a high-quality result. A dependable deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to complete the job fast while achieving your desired appearance and durability.
What is the optimal season for staining a deck?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works better while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm or colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive moisture can prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature specifications on how long drying will take, and it's essential that it stays dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor in Laurel, Delaware on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for refreshing its appearance and providing long-lasting durability from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer regarding picking the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain won't offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting provides better variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away under heavy use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years if properly dried.
Staining your deck demands a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration through every step of the process. Performing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in less protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by enlisting an expert who can guarantee stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Laurel, Delaware and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.