Find a Cabinet Painter in Millsboro, Delaware
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to renew the appearance of my cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used on walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for interior walls will face many challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that modern aesthetic. Common wall paints will not adhere properly to cabinets and can start to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs longer drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
How will I know I've chosen the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to start is by understanding exactly what style you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their past work similar to your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Make sure that any contractor you consider provides written statements of all equipment and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project begins that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by evaluating their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past customers for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Is it really crucial to prime and sand cabinets prior to painting?
It's always enticing to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt and grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its hardware, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in most cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What is the average cost for an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
There are several things that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Millsboro, DE, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's advised to first obtain quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors may bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job completed.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Update Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Millsboro, DE
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your home and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Millsboro, DE fluctuates, but many homeowners still report spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets may be in fair enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the perfect cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be happy to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all the information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Millsboro, DE confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.