Find a Cabinet Painter in Montchanin, Delaware
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any distinction between cabinet paint and regular paint?
A commonly asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint generally used for home walls will encounter many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their modern look. Typical wall paints might not adhere properly to cabinets and can start to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals choose for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
How can I determine if I've chosen the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the best one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of effort. The first place to focus on is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their past work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate widely. Check that any painter you consider provides written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project has started that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by evaluating any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients available online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the long prep phase necessary when painting my cabinets?
It's always enticing to quickly start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to any edges that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What things are considered when it comes to the cost of painting cabinets?
There are many things that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Montchanin, DE, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your painter will need to recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job performed.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Discover a Cabinet Painter Near Montchanin, DE Who Can Bring Your Ideas to Reality
A quick way to increase the appeal of your house and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-effective choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Montchanin, DE varies, but many customers have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets might be in fair enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
While searching for the right cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their client reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A dependable painter will be willing to show you a history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all important information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Montchanin, DE easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.