Find a Cabinet Painter in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What kind of paint is used for cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that elegant appearance. Typical wall paints might not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
How can I pick a cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to find the perfect one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of effort. The best place to focus on is by knowing precisely what style you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate largely. Ensure that any contractor you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project commences that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's reputation by checking any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past customers for view online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Should I just paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's may be enticing to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grime are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and its hardware, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to any places that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What things are considered when it comes to establishing cost for painting cabinets?
There are several things that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your painter will have to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job performed.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Choose a Cabinet Painter Near Rehoboth Beach, Delaware to Bring Your Ideas to Reality
A smart way to boost the value of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and give them an updated look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware fluctuates, but some homeowners still report spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your present cabinets could be in fair enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the best cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be happy to show you a history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Locate all important information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Rehoboth Beach, Delaware easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.