Find a Cabinet Painter in Baker, Florida
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Which type of paint is used with cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint generally used for interior walls will encounter some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that elegant appearance. Common wall paints might not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals use for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
How do I pick the right painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the most suitable one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to focus on is by knowing precisely what look you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their previous work matching your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Check that any professional you consider gives documentation of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project begins that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reputation by evaluating any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Will I have to prime cabinets cabinets before painting?
It's may be tempting to quickly begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and their components, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to any places that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What is the typical cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor?
There are several things that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Baker, FL, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first obtain quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors could bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The painter will have to recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project performed.
You'll want to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Renew Your Cabinets for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter in Baker, FL
A quick way to increase the value of your home and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and deliver a new look that will suit your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Baker, FL varies, but some homeowners still report spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in fair enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the perfect cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be happy to show you a history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all important information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Baker, FL easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.