Find a Cabinet Painter in Cocoa Beach, Florida
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to refresh the look of my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint usually used for interior walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their modern look. Typical wall paints may not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or start to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals use for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs extended drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
How can I find a painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painters to discover the most suitable one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of work. The best place to focus on is by understanding exactly what style you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their previous work similar to your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate largely. Make sure that any painter you hire provides documentation of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for any surprises to occur once the project begins that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients available online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Can I just paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's may be enticing to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grease are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and its hardware, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach any edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only flake off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What is the average price of an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
There are many factors that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Cocoa Beach, Florida, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first obtain quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your painter will have to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project performed.
You'll need to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Find a Cabinet Painter Near Cocoa Beach, Florida to Bring Your Ideas to Life
An exceptional way to boost the appeal of your home and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-efficient option over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and provide a new look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Cocoa Beach, Florida varies, but some homeowners have reported spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets may be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be happy to share a history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Find all important information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Cocoa Beach, Florida easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.