Find Deck Staining in Edgewater, Florida
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will the climate ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll get better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck is better when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much moisture can extend drying times and raise the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have specifications on how long curing will take, and it's essential that it stays dry during this period. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Before staining a deck, what are the preparatory steps that are taken?
Careful prep of your deck and the surrounding spaces must be performed to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be pushed back, and any walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck might need to be cleaned and sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the right stain for your deck is an important step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from particular stains that will provide your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid usually providing superior defense from water and UV rays. If your wood species is known for minimal durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its hue and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the style of your home and grounds.
Is it better to stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have unique advantages, so it's important to assess which option most suits your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant advantages of painting are its wider variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also needs more maintenance due to peeling and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly cured, requires minimal effort to care for, and has other advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering better defense from moisture, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the advantages of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which option will be best for you and your home.
Will staining my deck help safeguard it from climate-related damage?
Staining a deck comes with many advantages, including enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that can help revitalize the look of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you might think when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor who can guarantee excellent results. The weather in Edgewater, FL is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include keeping out bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most out of your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor in Edgewater, FL on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its appearance and providing long-lasting protection against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to make sure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that experts can share when it comes to picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain won't offer as many style options as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting provides better versatility in colors and styles and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away under frequent foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mold and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for a few years if properly cured.
Staining your deck calls for attention to detail and careful consideration through every step of the project. Conducting the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can ensure stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Edgewater, FL and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.