Find Deck Staining in Fort Myers, Florida
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Which season of the year is suggested for performing my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck is better when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot and cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive moisture will prolong drying times and raise the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long curing will take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
What prep is advised prior to staining a deck?
Careful prep of your deck and the surrounding spaces must be performed to guarantee a good finish. Vegetation should be cut, and nearby walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be washed or sanded to allow adequate penetration and sticking.
Choosing the best stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects such as:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will give your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid usually providing the most defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for minimal durability, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the aesthetic of your home and grounds.
Is there a big variance in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting have different advantages, so it's important to assess which option most fits your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are its extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface shielding. However, paint also needs extensive upkeep due to peeling and fading over time. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly dried, needs minimal effort to maintain, and has more advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering better defense from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that boost durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the benefits of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice will be right for you and your home.
Why do I hear so many people say deck staining is a good investment?
Staining a deck provides many advantages, such as enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a variety of colors and opacities that will help re-energize the aesthetic of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional to ensure excellent results. The weather in Fort Myers, Florida poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include stopping pests and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Fort Myers, Florida on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for refreshing its appearance and providing unmatched durability from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to secure the wood from moisture, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can share regarding choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain won't offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting has more versatility in colors and styles and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away beneath heavy use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and contains pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It also won't need reapplication for a few years if adequately dried.
Staining your deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration for every step of the process. Performing the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can promise stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Fort Myers, Florida and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.