Find Deck Staining in Lakeland, Florida
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will the weather ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll get better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck works best when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot or cold temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much moisture will prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have specifications on how long curing should take, and it's required that it remains dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
What preparatory measures should be taken before initiating the deck staining process?
Careful prepping of the deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be conducted to guarantee a good result. Obstructing grass and plants should be removed, and nearby pathways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck may need to be washed and sanded to facilitate good penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the best stain for any deck is an important step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will give your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid generally providing the most protection from water and UV rays. If your wood species has minimal durability, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its hue and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the aesthetic of your house and grounds.
Is there a significant difference in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting offer different benefits, so it's important to assess which option best meets your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest benefits of painting are its wider selection of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also needs more maintenance due to chipping and fading relatively fast. On the other hand, stain does not peel if properly cured, needs minimal effort to care for, and has other benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering a deep layer of protection against moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the benefits of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be best for you and your home.
Why do I hear so many homeowners say deck staining is a smart investment?
Staining a deck comes with many advantages, such as enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are available in a range of colors and opacities that will help reinvigorate the style of your house and grounds. You're not as limited as you may suppose by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Lakeland, FL is the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the species of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include stopping pests and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor Near Lakeland, FL on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for refreshing its look and providing long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that professionals can share regarding selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting offers more versatility in colors and looks and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it flakes away under steady use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deep into the wood and has pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for a few years if adequately cured.
Staining a deck demands attention to detail and careful consideration for every step of the project. Conducting the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by turning to a professional who can deliver excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Lakeland, FL and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.