Find a Cabinet Painter in Mims, Florida
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be limited to the type of paint I can use for my cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint typically used for home walls will encounter some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that sleek aesthetic. Typical wall paints will not stick adequately to cabinets or begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer time to dry and cure than those generally applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my project?
Comparing cabinet painters to uncover the most suitable one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of consideration. The first place to begin is by understanding precisely what look you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their previous work matching your vision beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Professional contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Make sure that any contractor you consider gives written statements of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur once the project has started that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by assessing their online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients available online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Will I have to prime cabinets cabinets prior to painting?
It's always tempting to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and their components, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to those edges that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than expected.
How do I estimate the price of cabinet painting?
There are several factors that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Mims, FL, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will have to recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project performed.
You'll need to talk about your home's particular cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Update Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Mims, FL
A quick way to enhance the appeal of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and give them a new look that will match your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter around Mims, FL fluctuates, but some homeowners have reported spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your existing cabinets could be in decent enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
When hunting for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be happy to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all important information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Mims, FL easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.