Find a Cabinet Painter in Saint James City, Florida
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Florida // Saint James City
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to renew the appearance of my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will encounter many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that sleek aesthetic. Typical wall paints may not adhere properly to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs extended drying and curing times than those generally applied to walls.
What qualities should I expect in a professional cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to find the most suitable one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of consideration. The best place to focus on is by understanding exactly what look you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their prior work similar to your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Professional contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate significantly. Make sure that any professional you hire provides documentation of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project begins that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the contractor's dependability by assessing any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the tedious prep phase necessary when painting all cabinets?
It's always enticing to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt or grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach any places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What factors are considered when it comes to establishing price for painting cabinets?
There are several factors that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Saint James City, FL, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors could charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job finished.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Saint James City, FL to Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to enhance the value of your property and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Saint James City, FL varies, but many customers have reported spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets could be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While looking for the right cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be willing to share a history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all the information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Saint James City, FL confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.