Find Deck Staining in Sanford, Florida
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Would painting my deck be a better option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting have unique benefits, so it's important to consider which option most suits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two most significant benefits of painting are the wider selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also needs extensive maintenance due to chipping and fading over time. On the other hand, stain will not peel if properly dried, requires less effort to care for, and has more benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering a deep layer of protection from moisture, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is best for your needs.
Is staining my deck worth the price if I hire a professional?
Staining a deck offers many advantages, including enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the look of your house and grounds. You're not as limited as you might think when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a professional to deliver excellent results. The climate in Sanford, FL poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include stopping pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get the most from your investment by extending its lifespan.
What steps are involved during professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious process that requires careful preparation and application to achieve the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks properly. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired of any damage to enable a smooth application during the next step. Anything around the work area, including pathways and structures, will also need to be covered with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you choose the best type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the style you want to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to apply as many coats as are required for good penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - A contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to dry. It's crucial that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is acceptable for the drying step.
Each of these steps can be complex and tedious, but proper execution is necessary to ensure a high-quality result. A vetted deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to finish the job fast while achieving the desired look and durability.
Can the climate impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve better results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining a deck works better while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot or colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much humidity can prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with specifications on how long drying should take, and it's essential that it remains dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Find a Deck Staining Professional Near Sanford, FL on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for refreshing its look and delivering unmatched protection against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can share when it comes to selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting provides more variety of colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it peels away beneath constant use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. It also won't need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining a deck demands a practiced hand and careful consideration at every step of the process. Conducting the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by turning to an expert who can ensure stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Sanford, FL and choose the best one matching your vision and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.