Find Deck Staining in Athens, Georgia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting offer their own benefits, so it's essential to assess which option best meets your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are its extensive selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also requires extensive upkeep because of chipping and fading over time. On the other hand, stain will not peel if properly dried, requires less effort to maintain, and has more benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better defense from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that increase durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is right for you and your home.
Can staining my deck help shield it from climate-related damage?
Staining a deck brings several advantages, such as enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that will help revitalize the style of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional to ensure excellent results. The climate in Athens, GA is the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting pests and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get more out of your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How long could it take a professional to stain my deck the way I wanted?
Staining a deck is a multipart project that requires careful preparation and execution to get the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dirt and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to facilitate a consistent application during the following step. Anything around the work area, like pathways and structures, will also need to be blanketed with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you understand the right kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the look you want to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to apply as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - A contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it will take to dry. It's critical that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is acceptable during the drying process.
Each of these steps are challenging and time-consuming, but proper execution is vital to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will bring the experience and skill to complete the job fast while delivering your desired appearance and durability.
Can the climate ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll get the best results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck works best when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm or colder temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long drying should take, and it's required that it stays dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor Near Athens, GA on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its appearance and delivering unmatched durability from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to make sure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain won't offer as much variety as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting has better versatility in colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times throughout the years as it peels away beneath frequent foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for a few years if adequately dried.
Staining your deck calls for a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration through every step of the project. Conducting the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by turning to a pro who can promise stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Athens, GA and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.