Find a Cabinet Painter in Brooklet, Georgia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any difference between cabinet paint and wall paint?
A commonly asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will face many challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their elegant aesthetic. Typical wall paints might not stick adequately to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint professionals use for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs longer drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
Is it difficult to find an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painters to discover the most suitable one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to focus on is by understanding exactly what look you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their prior work matching what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Make sure that any painter you consider provides written statements of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project begins that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by evaluating their online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past customers available online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Is it necessary to prime and sand cabinets prior to painting?
It's always tempting to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt and grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach any places that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
Is it expensive to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many things that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Brooklet, GA, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters could charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will have to recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painter Near Brooklet, GA to Bring Your Vision to Reality
A smart way to enhance the appeal of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-efficient option over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and provide a new look that will match your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Brooklet, GA fluctuates, but many homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors like the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets could be in decent enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When searching for the perfect cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their client reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be willing to show you their history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Locate all important information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Brooklet, GA easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.