Find a Cabinet Painter in Rex, Georgia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What type of paint do you use on cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint usually used for home walls will encounter many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that modern aesthetic. Common wall paints will not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can start to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint professionals choose for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those generally used on walls.
How can I pick a cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to begin is by understanding exactly what style you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their previous work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Professional contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate largely. Make sure that any painter you hire gives written statements of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for any surprises to occur after the project begins that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's reputation by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients available online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the tedious prep stage a necessity before painting all cabinets?
It's always tempting to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt or grime are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and its hardware, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also reach those places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in some cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only flake off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
Will it be expensive to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many factors that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Rex, GA, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The painter must recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Choose a Cabinet Painter Near Rex, GA to Bring Your Vision to Reality
An exceptional way to boost the value of your house and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Rex, GA fluctuates, but many homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your present cabinets may be in decent enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
While hunting for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be happy to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all the information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Rex, GA confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.