Find Deck Staining in Statham, Georgia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are the biggest factors of the price for professional deck staining?
Many factors can influence the cost of professional deck staining services, but size and the current state of the deck will have the most significant impact. Contractors will provide an estimate based on the size of the deck, but that price can go up if extensive prep and repairs need to be conducted before stain is applied.
The brand of stain you select for the project will be calculated into the final cost, and premium options featuring better UV protection and water resistance can be more expensive. Keep in mind that how difficult your deck is to access or work around will lead to higher labor costs from your contractor. Any additional services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or adding more coats of stain, may also increase your overall costs.
When assessing professional deck staining services, it's essential to obtain multiple quotes, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor gives clear communication about the timeline for your project. Homeowners can discover all this information to make informed decisions and get the most suitable contractor for the job at Thumbtack.
How much time can I anticipate a contractor to take to finish deck staining?
Staining a deck is a detailed project that needs careful preparation and application to get the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleansed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks well. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired of any damage to facilitate a smooth application of the stain. The environment around the work area, such as pathways and buildings, will also need to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you choose the right type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to put on as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - The contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've selected and how long it will take to cure. It's essential that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable for the curing process.
Each of these steps are complex and time-consuming, but attention to detail is critical to ensure the best result. A dependable deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will bring the experience and skill to complete the job fast while achieving the desired appearance and durability.
Can the weather ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll get the best results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is best while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm and colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive humidity can prolong drying times and increase the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
What preparatory measures should be taken before initiating the deck staining process?
Careful prepping of the deck and the surrounding environment must be performed to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants should be pushed back, and nearby pathways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck may need to be washed and sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and adhesion.
Picking the best stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects like:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from particular stains that will give your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid usually delivering superior protection from water and UV rays. If your wood species is known for low strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the look of your home and grounds.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Statham, Georgia on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for updating its appearance and delivering long-lasting durability against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to ensure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain won't offer as much variety as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting gives more variety of colors and looks and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away beneath constant use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and contains pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining a deck demands a practiced hand and careful consideration at every step of the project. Performing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can promise stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Statham, Georgia and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.