Find a Cabinet Painter in Waynesboro, Georgia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be limited to the kind of paint I can put on my cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint usually used for interior walls will encounter some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their sophisticated look. Typical wall paints will not stick adequately to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
What qualities do I look for in a reliable cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to discover the most suitable one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of consideration. The best place to focus on is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Check that any painter you hire provides written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project begins that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by checking any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Can I paint my cabinets without sanding?
It's always tempting to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt and grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their components, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and require repainting sooner than expected.
What is the typical cost of an experienced cabinet painter?
There are several factors that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Waynesboro, Georgia, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The painter will need to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project performed.
You'll need to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Discover a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Waynesboro, Georgia Who Will Bring Your Ideas to Life
An exceptional way to increase the appeal of your home and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-efficient option over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter near Waynesboro, Georgia fluctuates, but some customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects like the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the planet when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets might be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
When searching for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be willing to show you their history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Find all the information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Waynesboro, Georgia confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.