Find a Cabinet Painter in Hauula, Hawaii
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to refresh the appearance of my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for interior walls will face some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their elegant look. Common wall paints might not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint contractors use for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
How do I find a painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the most suitable one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to start is by understanding precisely what style you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Check that any painter you consider gives documentation of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project begins that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's dependability by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients available online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Is the long prep step a necessity before painting all cabinets?
It's may be enticing to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt and grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and its hardware, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to any places that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in many cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What is the usual cost for a professional cabinet painting contractor?
There are many things that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Hauula, HI, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first seek out quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will have to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll need to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Beautify Your Cabinets for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Hauula, HI
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your house and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Hauula, HI varies, but some customers have reported spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors such as the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in decent enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While looking for the right cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be willing to share a history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all important information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Hauula, HI confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.