Find a Cabinet Painter in Swisher, Iowa
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any distinction with cabinet paint and regular paint?
A commonly asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that sophisticated aesthetic. Common wall paints may not adhere properly to cabinets or begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint professionals use for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs extended drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
How will I know I've found the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the most suitable one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to start is by knowing precisely what style you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see samples of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Reliable contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Make sure that any painter you consider gives documentation of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project has started that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's reliability by checking their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers available online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets without sanding?
It's always tempting to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grime are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their hardware, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach those places that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What is the typical cost of an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
There are several things that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Swisher, IA, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first seek out quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your painter will need to recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll want to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Discover a Cabinet Painter in Swisher, IA Who Can Bring Your Ideas to Reality
An exceptional way to increase the value of your house and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and provide an updated look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Swisher, IA fluctuates, but some homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets may be in good enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While hunting for the best cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable painter will be willing to show you their history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Discover all important information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Swisher, IA confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.