Find Deck Staining in Lewiston, Idaho
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Would it be better to stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have unique advantages, so it's essential to consider which option best fits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two most significant advantages of painting are the extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also needs more upkeep because of peeling and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel if properly cured, requires minimal effort to care for, and has more advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better defense from moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that enhance durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is best for you and your home.
Is the price of professional deck staining offset by any real benefits?
Staining a deck comes with many advantages, such as enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that will help revitalize the look of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you may suppose when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a professional who can guarantee excellent results. The weather in Lewiston, ID poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include stopping pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
What steps are followed during professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that requires careful preparation and execution to obtain the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres properly. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to enable a consistent application of the stain. Anything around the work area, including pathways and buildings, will have to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you understand the best kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to apply as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - The contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it takes to dry. It's critical that the deck is not touched and that the weather is acceptable for the curing process.
All of these steps are complex and time-consuming, but performing them correctly is vital to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to complete the job quickly while achieving the desired appearance and durability.
Will the climate play a role in the timing of deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll achieve better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is better while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot and cold temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much moisture will extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long curing should take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this time. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional Near Lewiston, ID on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its appearance and providing long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries correctly to safeguard the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can share regarding selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain won't offer as many style options as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting offers more variety of colors and looks and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it peels away beneath steady foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and contains pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining any deck requires a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration at every step of the project. Performing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring a pro who can guarantee stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Lewiston, ID and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.