Find a Cabinet Painter in Moscow, Idaho
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Which type of paint do you use with cabinets?
A frequently asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint typically used for interior walls will face some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their modern look. Common wall paints may not adhere properly to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires extended time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
Is it difficult to find a good cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the best one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to focus on is by understanding precisely what style you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their past work matching your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Professional contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Check that any professional you consider provides documentation of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project begins that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by assessing any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Should I just paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's may be enticing to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt and grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its hardware, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach those edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What is the average price of an experienced cabinet painter?
There are several things that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Moscow, ID, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's advised to first seek out quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters could charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The painter will need to recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project finished.
You'll want to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Moscow, ID to Bring Your Ideas to Reality
An exceptional way to increase the value of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter near Moscow, ID fluctuates, but some homeowners have reported spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your present cabinets could be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When searching for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be happy to show you their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Discover all the information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Moscow, ID confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.