Find Deck Staining in Aledo, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What is the optimal weather for staining my deck?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll achieve the best results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is best while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot or colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much moisture will extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that it stays dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
What steps must be taken before initiating the deck staining process?
Careful prep of the deck and the surrounding area needs to be performed to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be removed, and nearby walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck might need to be washed and sanded to allow adequate penetration and sticking.
Choosing the best stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors like:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from particular stains that will offer your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid generally providing superior defense from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck is known for minimal strength, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the style of your home and grounds.
Would it be better to stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting offer different advantages, so it's important to assess which option best meets your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are its wider variety of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also needs more maintenance because of flaking and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly dried, needs minimal effort to care for, and has other advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better defense from moisture, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that boost durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice will be right for you and your home.
Can staining my deck help shield it from weather-related damage?
Staining a deck brings several advantages, including enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a range of colors and opacities that will help re-energize the aesthetic of your home and yard. You're not limiting yourself when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a professional to guarantee excellent results. The climate in Aledo, Illinois is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the type of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more from your investment by extending its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional Near Aledo, Illinois on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its look and providing long-lasting durability from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to make sure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer when it comes to choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives better variety of colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away under constant use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and carries pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain will also not need reapplication for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining a deck calls for attention to detail and thoughtful consideration through every step of the project. Conducting the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by turning to a pro who can guarantee excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Aledo, Illinois and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.