Find a Cabinet Painter in Arrowsmith, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to update the look of my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint usually used for home walls will encounter many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their elegant appearance. Typical wall paints might not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The type of paint professionals use for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my project?
Vetting cabinet painters to discover the perfect one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of effort. The first place to start is by understanding exactly what look you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Professional contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate widely. Ensure that any contractor you hire gives documentation of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. What you don't want is for any surprises to pop up after the project commences that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's dependability by checking any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers available online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Will I need to prime cabinets cabinets before painting?
It's always enticing to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt or grime are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and their hardware, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also reach those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What things are considered when it comes to establishing price of painting cabinets?
There are several things that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Arrowsmith, IL, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors may charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project performed.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Find a Cabinet Painter in Arrowsmith, IL to Bring Your Vision to Reality
An exceptional way to increase the appeal of your property and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will match your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Arrowsmith, IL fluctuates, but many customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets could be in decent enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the best cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be willing to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all the information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Arrowsmith, IL easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.