Find Deck Staining in Astoria, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What factors play a significant role in the pricing of deck staining by a professional?
Several things will affect the cost of professional deck staining services, but size and the current condition of the deck will have the largest impact. Contractors should provide an estimate based on the size of the deck, but this price may increase if extensive prep and repairs need to be conducted before stain is applied.
The kind of stain you pick for your deck will be reflected in the final cost, and premium options featuring better UV protection and water resistance can be more expensive. Keep in mind that how hard your deck is to reach or maneuver around will result in higher labor costs from a professional service. Any additional services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or adding more coats of stain, might also raise your final costs.
When assessing professional deck staining services, it's important to get multiple quotes, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor provides clear communication about the timeline for your project. Residents of Astoria, Illinois will discover all this information to make informed decisions and hire the most suitable contractor for deck staining at Thumbtack.
What steps are involved with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that requires careful preparation and execution to get the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleansed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks well. The surface should be sanded or repaired of any damage to facilitate a smooth application during the following step. The environment immediately outside of the work area, such as walkways and buildings, will also need to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you select the right type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the aesthetic you want to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to put on as many coats as are required for good penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - Your contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've selected and how long it takes to dry. It's critical that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable during the drying step.
Each of these steps are complex and time-consuming, but performing them correctly is vital to ensure a high-quality result. A vetted deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to complete the job fast while delivering your desired look and durability.
Which time of the year is suggested for performing my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll achieve better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck works better while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm or colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive humidity will extend drying times and heighten the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature specifications on how long drying should take, and it's required that it remains dry during this time. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
Prior to deck staining, what are the preparatory steps that are taken?
Detailed prep of your deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be carried out to guarantee a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be pushed back, and any walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck might need to be washed and sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Selecting the right stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from particular stains that will provide your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid generally providing the most defense from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck has minimal durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opacity to complement or stand out from the look of your house and lawn.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Astoria, Illinois on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is great for refreshing its look and providing unmatched durability against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor will handle the challenging task for you, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures correctly to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that experts can share regarding selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting gives better versatility in colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away beneath steady foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from mold and insect damage. It also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining a deck requires a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration for every step of the project. Conducting the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can promise stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Astoria, Illinois and choose the right one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.