Find a Cabinet Painter in Bensenville, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Illinois // Bensenville
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a difference between cabinet paint and regular paint?
A frequently asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will face some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that sophisticated aesthetic. Typical wall paints might not stick properly to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my project?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to find the best one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of effort. A good place to start is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their prior work similar to your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate significantly. Make sure that any professional you hire provides documentation of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project begins that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the contractor's reliability by checking their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers available online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Should I paint my cabinets without sanding?
It's always tempting to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt and grime are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and their gear, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to any places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and require repainting sooner than expected.
Is it costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are several things that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Bensenville, Illinois, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your painter will need to recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll want to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Find a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Bensenville, Illinois to Bring Your Ideas to Reality
An exceptional way to enhance the value of your house and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Bensenville, Illinois varies, but some customers still report spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects such as the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets could be in fair enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
When looking for the best cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be happy to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all the information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Bensenville, Illinois easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.