Find Deck Staining in Bolingbrook, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Illinois // Bolingbrook
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are the advantages of applying stain to my deck vs painting it?
Deck staining and painting have unique benefits, so it's important to assess which option best meets your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are the wider variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also needs more upkeep because of flaking and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly cured, requires less effort to care for, and has more benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering a deep layer of protection against moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice will be right for you and your home.
Why do so many homeowners say deck staining is a smart investment?
Staining a deck brings many advantages, including enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a range of colors and opacities that can help re-energize the look of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you might suppose by picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Bolingbrook, Illinois is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the kind of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include stopping pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
How long should it take a contractor to stain my deck according to my vision?
Staining a deck is a tedious process that requires careful preparation and application to get the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks properly. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a consistent application of the stain. The environment around the work area, such as pathways and buildings, will have to be protected with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you understand the right type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the style you want to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to apply as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've selected and how long it takes to cure. It's critical that the deck is not used and that the weather is fitting throughout the drying process.
Each of these steps are challenging and tedious, but proper execution is vital to ensure the best result. A vetted deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to finish the job quickly while delivering the desired appearance and durability.
Can the climate ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll get the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is best while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot or colder temperatures can affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive humidity can extend drying times and raise the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long drying will take, and it's essential that it remains dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor Near Bolingbrook, Illinois on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its appearance and providing long-lasting durability from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from prep to application and drying, to guarantee it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to protect the wood from moisture, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting has more versatility in colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away beneath frequent use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from rot and insect damage. It also doesn't need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining any deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration through every step of the process. Executing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can promise excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Bolingbrook, Illinois and choose the right one matching your needs and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.