Find Deck Staining in Bradford, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a specific time of year that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll get better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works best when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot or cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and increase the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with directions on how long curing should take, and it's required that it remains dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
Before staining a deck, what are the preparatory steps that must be taken?
Careful preparation of the deck and the surrounding area needs to be conducted to guarantee a good result. Obstructing grass and plants should be pushed back, and nearby pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck may need to be cleaned and sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Selecting the right stain for any deck is an important step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors such as:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from particular stains that will give your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid typically delivering the most protection from water and UV rays. If your wood species has low durability, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the look of your house and lawn.
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have their own benefits, so it's important to assess which option best fits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two most significant benefits of painting are the extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also demands extensive upkeep due to flaking and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly cured, needs minimal effort to care for, and has more benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering better protection from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that increase durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is right for your needs.
Can staining my deck help protect it from weather-related damage?
Staining a deck comes with several advantages, such as enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that will help re-energize the style of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional who can deliver excellent results. The climate in Bradford, IL is the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how strong the kind of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include keeping out bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most from your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Bradford, IL on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for refreshing its appearance and delivering unmatched durability from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to ensure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can share regarding choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting has better versatility in colors and looks and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it peels away beneath heavy foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and contains pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It also doesn't need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining your deck requires a practiced hand and careful consideration at every step of the process. Executing the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can guarantee stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Bradford, IL and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.