Find Deck Staining in Cairo, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Illinois // Cairo
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
It seems like there's nothing to display in this area. Please try searching in a different location or using alternative search terms to find what you're looking for. If you need assistance, feel free to reach out to our support team for help!
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting offer unique advantages, so it's important to consider which option best meets your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant advantages of painting are the wider selection of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also requires extensive upkeep due to flaking and fading over time. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly dried, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has other advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering a deep layer of protection against water, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that enhance durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be best for you and your home.
Why do so many homeowners say deck staining is a wise investment?
Staining a deck comes with many benefits, such as enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that will help revitalize the style of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you might suppose when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor to deliver excellent results. The climate in Cairo, IL poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the kind of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include stopping pests and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more out of your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How long should it take a contractor to complete my deck staining job?
Staining a deck is a tedious process that requires careful preparation and application to obtain the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. The surface should be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a consistent application of the stain. Anything immediately outside of the work area, like walkways and structures, will also need to be protected by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you select the best type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to apply as many coats as are required for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - The contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to dry. It's critical that the deck is not used and that the weather is fitting throughout the drying process.
Each of these steps can be challenging and tedious, but proper execution is critical to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to complete the job quickly while achieving your desired appearance and durability.
What time of the year is recommended for conducting my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get better results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck works better when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm and cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive humidity will prolong drying times and heighten the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with specifications on how long drying will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Cairo, IL on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its appearance and delivering unmatched protection against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor will handle the challenging task for you, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures appropriately to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can share when it comes to selecting the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting provides more variety of colors and aesthetics and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away beneath heavy foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deep into the wood and contains pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from mold and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining a deck requires a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the process. Conducting the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can guarantee stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Cairo, IL and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.