Find Deck Staining in Chatham, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What time of the year is suggested for undertaking my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve the best results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is better when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm and cold temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much moisture will prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature specifications on how long drying will take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
What prep needs to be done before staining my deck?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding environment needs to be carried out to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be cut, and any pathways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck may need to be cleaned and sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the best stain for your deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will offer your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid generally delivering superior protection from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has minimal strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the aesthetic of your home and lawn.
Would it be better to stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have different benefits, so it's essential to assess which option most suits your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are the extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also needs more upkeep due to flaking and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain will not peel if properly dried, needs less effort to care for, and has other benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering better protection against water, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the advantages of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is best for you and your home.
Why do I hear so many people say deck staining is a wise investment?
Staining a deck comes with several benefits, such as enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a range of hues and opacities that will help reinvigorate the look of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional who can deliver excellent results. The weather in Chatham, IL poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the species of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include keeping out bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor Near Chatham, IL on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its look and delivering unmatched durability against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that professionals can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting provides better versatility in colors and aesthetics and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it peels away beneath heavy foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and contains pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mold and insect damage. It also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining your deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the process. Performing the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can ensure stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Chatham, IL and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.