Find Deck Staining in Chicago Ridge, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What aspects should be considered when estimating the cost of deck staining by contractors?
Many factors will influence the cost of expert deck staining services, but square footage and the current state of the deck will have the most significant impact. Contractors will give an initial quote based on the size of the deck, but that price may go up if extensive prep or repairs need to be conducted before stain is applied.
The kind of stain you select for the project will be calculated into the final cost, and premium products with better UV protection and water resistance will be more expensive. Also remember that how hard your deck is to reach or work around could contribute to higher labor costs from your contractor. Any extra services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or adding multiple layers of stain, can also raise the final costs.
When assessing professional deck staining contractors, it's essential to obtain multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor gives clear communication about scheduling. Homeowners will discover all this information to make informed decisions and get the most suitable contractor for deck staining on Thumbtack.
What steps are followed during professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious process that requires careful preparation and application to achieve the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleansed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired of any damage to enable a smooth application during the next step. Anything surrounding the work area, such as walkways and buildings, will also need to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you pick the best type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the aesthetic you want to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to put on as many coats as are needed for good penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - A contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to cure. It's important that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is fitting during the curing step.
All of these steps are complex and tedious, but attention to detail is vital to ensure the best result. A vetted deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to complete the job fast while delivering the desired appearance and durability.
Does the weather play a role in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll get better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is best while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm or colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with directions on how long curing should take, and it's essential that it remains dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
What prep needs to be performed before staining my deck?
Detailed preparation of the deck and the surrounding area must be performed to guarantee a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be pushed back, and any walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck might need to be cleaned or sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Selecting the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors such as:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will offer your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid usually providing the most defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species has low durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the aesthetic of your home and yard.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional in Chicago Ridge, IL on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its appearance and providing long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to ensure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from moisture, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that experts can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting has better versatility in colors and looks and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away beneath heavy use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain will also not need reapplication for two to three years if properly dried.
Staining your deck demands a practiced hand and careful consideration for every step of the process. Performing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by turning to a pro who can deliver stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Chicago Ridge, IL and choose the best one matching your needs and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.