Find Deck Staining in Cottage Hills, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Would painting my deck be a smarter choice than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's important to consider which option best fits your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant advantages of painting are its wider selection of colors and enhanced surface shielding. However, paint also demands extensive upkeep because of peeling and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly cured, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has other advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing a deep layer of defense against water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is right for you and your home.
Why do so many people say deck staining is a wise investment?
Staining a deck provides several benefits, including enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that will help re-energize the look of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several choices to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor to guarantee excellent results. The weather in Cottage Hills, IL poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the kind of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include keeping out pests and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get the most from your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How long should it take a contractor to stain my deck according to my vision?
Staining a deck is a detailed process that requires careful preparation and application to obtain the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a consistent application during the following step. The environment immediately outside of the work area, such as pathways and buildings, will also need to be blanketed with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you select the right type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the look you want to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to put on as many coats as are needed for good penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - A contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to cure. It's essential that the deck is not used and that the weather is fitting during the curing step.
All of these steps can be challenging and tedious, but proper execution is vital to ensure a high-quality result. A reliable deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to finish the job quickly while delivering the desired look and durability.
What season of the year is recommended for carrying out my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get better results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is best while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot and colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive moisture will prolong drying times and raise the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long curing will take, and it's essential that it remains dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Cottage Hills, IL on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its look and delivering unmatched protection against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to ensure it turns out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting provides more versatility in colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away beneath heavy use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for a few years if properly cured.
Staining your deck requires a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration for every step of the process. Carrying out the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to a pro who can deliver stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Cottage Hills, IL and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.