Find a Cabinet Painter in Davis Junction, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any difference with cabinet paint and regular paint?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint usually used for interior walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that modern look. Common wall paints might not adhere adequately to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my job?
Vetting cabinet painters to find the best one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of consideration. The best place to begin is by knowing exactly what look you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their previous work aligning with your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors would be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate significantly. Make sure that any professional you hire gives written statements of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. What you don't need is for any surprises to occur once the project commences that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by assessing their online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past customers for view online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the difficult prep phase a necessity prior to painting my cabinets?
It's may be enticing to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grease are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to those places that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than expected.
How much will I need to budget to paint my current cabinets?
There are several things that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Davis Junction, IL, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first seek out quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll need to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Renew Your Home for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Davis Junction, IL
A quick way to boost the value of your property and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and deliver a new look that will match your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Davis Junction, IL varies, but some homeowners have reported spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets may be in fair enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
When hunting for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be willing to show you a history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Find all important information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Davis Junction, IL easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.