Find Deck Staining in Deerfield, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What is the best season for staining a deck?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get better results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining a deck works better when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm or colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive humidity can prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have specifications on how long curing should take, and it's essential that it remains dry during this time. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
What steps must be taken before beginning the deck staining process?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding spaces must be conducted to ensure a good result. Vegetation will need to be removed, and any walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be washed or sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors such as:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from certain stains that will offer your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid generally providing the most defense from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck is known for minimal strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the look of your house and yard.
Is there a big difference in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting offer unique benefits, so it's important to analyze which option best meets your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are the extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface shielding. However, paint also requires extensive upkeep because of peeling and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain will not peel if properly dried, needs minimal effort to care for, and has more benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better defense against moisture, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that enhance durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be best for you and your home.
Is the cost of professional deck staining offset by any protective benefits?
Staining a deck comes with several advantages, such as enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that can help reinvigorate the style of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you may think when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor to deliver excellent results. The weather in Deerfield, Illinois poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the species of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include stopping bugs and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get the most from your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional in Deerfield, Illinois on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for refreshing its look and providing unmatched durability from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it turns out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures appropriately to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can share regarding picking the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting offers more variety of colors and looks and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times over the years as it flakes away under frequent foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also won't need reapplication for a few years if adequately dried.
Staining a deck requires a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the process. Executing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by turning to an expert who can ensure excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Deerfield, Illinois and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.