Find Deck Staining in Des Plaines, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Illinois // Des Plaines
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What variables play the biggest role in the pricing of deck staining services?
Several things will influence the cost of professional deck staining services, but square footage and the current state of the deck will have the most significant impact. Contractors will give an estimate based on the size of the deck, but the price will increase if extensive prep or repairs need to be conducted before stain is applied.
The brand of stain you pick for your deck will be calculated into the final cost, and high-end products with better UV protection and water resistance can be more expensive. Also remember that how challenging your deck is to reach or maneuver around will lead to higher labor costs from your contractor. Any additional services needed, such as sealing, waterproofing, or adding multiple layers of stain, could also raise your final cost.
When evaluating professional deck staining services, it's important to obtain multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor provides clear communication about the timeline for your project. You will discover all the necessary information to make informed decisions and get the best contractor for deck staining on Thumbtack.
What steps are involved with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multistage process that requires careful preparation and application to get the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleaned of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres well. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to enable a smooth application during the next step. The environment immediately outside of the work area, such as pathways and structures, will also need to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you select the best type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the aesthetic you want to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to apply as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - The contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've selected and how long it will take to cure. It's crucial that the deck is not touched and that the weather is suitable for the curing process.
Each of these steps can be complex and time-consuming, but proper execution is vital to ensure a high-quality result. A dependable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to complete the job fast while delivering your desired look and durability.
Can the weather ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve better results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining a deck works best when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot or colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much moisture will prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that it remains dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
What prep needs to be performed before staining my deck?
Detailed prep of your deck and the surrounding area needs to be conducted to guarantee a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be cut, and any pathways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck might need to be cleaned or sanded to allow adequate penetration and sticking.
Choosing the right stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors like:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from particular stains that will give your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid generally providing superior protection from water and sun damage. If your wood species has minimal strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the look of your home and lawn.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Des Plaines, Illinois on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its look and providing unmatched protection against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to ensure it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer when it comes to choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting has better variety of colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it chips away beneath frequent use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from rot and insect damage. It also won't need reapplication for a few years if adequately cured.
Staining a deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration through every step of the process. Conducting the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by hiring a professional who can guarantee excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Des Plaines, Illinois and choose the best one matching your needs and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.