Find Deck Staining in Dow, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are the biggest factors of the price for professional deck staining?
Many things will affect the cost of professional deck staining services, but size and the current state of the deck will have the most significant impact. Contractors should give an estimate based on the size of the deck, but this price will go up if extensive prep and repairs need to be conducted before application.
The brand of stain you choose for the project will be included in the final cost, and high-end options with better UV protection and water resistance can be more expensive. Keep in mind that how difficult your deck is to reach or work around will lead to higher labor costs from your contractor. Any additional services needed, such as sealing, waterproofing, or applying multiple coats of stain, may also raise your final costs.
When assessing professional deck staining contractors, it's a good idea to get multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor provides clear communication about scheduling. Residents of Dow, Illinois will find all this information to make informed decisions and get the most suitable contractor for the job at Thumbtack.
What kind of time frame can I expect when hiring a contractor for deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multipart process that needs careful preparation and application to achieve the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dirt and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks well. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to provide a consistent application of the stain. The environment immediately outside of the work area, like pathways and structures, will also need to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you select the right type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to put on as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - Your contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to cure. It's important that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is fitting throughout the curing process.
Each of these steps are complex and time-consuming, but performing them correctly is vital to ensure a high-quality result. A vetted deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to complete the job fast while achieving the desired look and durability.
Can the climate impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll get the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is better while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm or cold temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive moisture will extend drying times and raise the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that it stays dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
What preparations will a contractor perform before diving into deck staining?
Detailed prepping of the deck and the surrounding area needs to be performed to guarantee a good result. Obstructing grass and plants should be cut, and any pathways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck might need to be cleaned and sanded to allow adequate penetration and sticking.
Selecting the best stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors such as:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from certain stains that will offer your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid usually delivering superior defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has minimal durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opacity to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your home and grounds.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor Near Dow, Illinois on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for refreshing its look and delivering long-lasting protection against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor will handle the challenging task for you, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to secure the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting has better variety of colors and looks and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it flakes away beneath constant foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining a deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration through every step of the process. Executing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by hiring an expert who can ensure stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Dow, Illinois and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.