Find Deck Staining in East Alton, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a certain season that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll achieve the best results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works best when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm or colder temperatures can affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much humidity can extend drying times and raise the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with directions on how long drying will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
Prior to deck staining, what are the preparatory actions that must be taken?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be performed to ensure a good finish. Vegetation should be removed, and any walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck might need to be washed and sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Picking the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors such as:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will give your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid usually providing the most protection from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck is known for low durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the style of your home and lawn.
Is there a big variance in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting offer different benefits, so it's important to consider which option most fits your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are the extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also needs more maintenance due to peeling and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly dried, requires less effort to care for, and has other benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing a deep layer of protection against water, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that boost durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is best for you and your home.
Is staining my deck worth the cost if I hire a contractor?
Staining a deck offers several advantages, including enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that can help re-energize the aesthetic of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you might suppose when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a professional who can guarantee excellent results. The weather in East Alton, IL poses the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the kind of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in East Alton, IL on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for updating its look and providing unmatched durability from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures correctly to safeguard the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can share regarding choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting has better versatility in colors and aesthetics and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it flakes away under steady foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for a few years if adequately dried.
Staining your deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration at every step of the process. Performing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can ensure excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in East Alton, IL and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.