Find Deck Staining in Enfield, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Illinois // Enfield
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a certain time of year that's better for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll achieve better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck works better while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm and cold temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much moisture can prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have specifications on how long curing will take, and it's required that it remains dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
Before deck staining, what are the preparatory steps that are taken?
Careful prep of the deck and the surrounding area needs to be carried out to ensure a good result. Vegetation will need to be cut, and any walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck may need to be washed or sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Picking the best stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors such as:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from particular stains that will provide your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from transparent to solid, with solid generally delivering the most protection from water and UV rays. If your wood species is known for minimal strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its hue and opacity to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your home and lawn.
What are some benefits of applying stain to my deck compared to painting it?
Deck staining and painting have their own benefits, so it's essential to analyze which option best fits your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are its extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also demands more upkeep due to chipping and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly dried, needs less effort to maintain, and has more benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better protection from water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the benefits of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is best for your needs.
Will staining my deck help shield it from weather-related damage?
Staining a deck provides several benefits, including enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a range of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the look of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you may suppose by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several choices to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a professional to deliver excellent results. The weather in Enfield, IL poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the species of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include keeping out pests and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor in Enfield, IL on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its appearance and delivering long-lasting protection against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to ensure it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer regarding selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting has more versatility in colors and looks and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away beneath constant use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and has pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining your deck calls for attention to detail and thoughtful consideration for every step of the project. Performing the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can ensure stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Enfield, IL and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.