Find a Cabinet Painter in Essex, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Illinois // Essex
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
It seems like there's nothing to display in this area. Please try searching in a different location or using alternative search terms to find what you're looking for. If you need assistance, feel free to reach out to our support team for help!
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What type of paint is used on cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that sleek aesthetic. Common wall paints may not adhere adequately to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
What features should I look for in a reliable cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the most suitable one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of effort. The best place to start is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work matching what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Dependable contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Ensure that any painter you consider gives documentation of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur after the project commences that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's dependability by assessing their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients available online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Do I need to prime cabinets cabinets prior to painting?
It's may be enticing to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt or grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and their hardware, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also reach those places that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in some cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
Will it be expensive to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many factors that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Essex, IL, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first seek out quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters might bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Beautify Your Home for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Essex, IL
A quick way to increase the appeal of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Essex, IL fluctuates, but some homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While looking for the right cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you their history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all the information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Essex, IL easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.