Find Deck Staining in Evanston, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are the primary factors of the price for expert deck staining?
Several things can influence the cost of expert deck staining services, but size and the current condition of the deck will have the biggest impact. Contractors will provide an estimate based on the size of the deck, but this price may increase if extensive prep and repairs need to be completed before stain is applied.
The brand of stain you pick for the project will be calculated into the final price, and high-end options with better UV protection and water resistance can be more expensive. Also remember that how hard your deck is to access or work around might result in higher labor costs from your contractor. Any additional services needed, such as sealing, waterproofing, or adding more layers of stain, might also increase the final costs.
When assessing professional deck staining contractors, it's a good idea to obtain multiple quotes, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor gives clear communication about scheduling. Residents of Evanston, IL can find all the necessary information to make informed decisions and get the best contractor for the job at Thumbtack.
What kind of time frame can I anticipate from professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multipart project that needs careful preparation and execution to get the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to facilitate a consistent application of the stain. The environment around the work area, such as walkways and buildings, will have to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you pick the best kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to put on as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - A contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it will take to cure. It's important that the deck is not touched and that the weather is suitable throughout the drying process.
All of these steps are challenging and tedious, but performing them correctly is vital to ensure the best result. A vetted deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to finish the job fast while delivering the desired appearance and durability.
Can the climate impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll achieve better results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining a deck is better when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive humidity can prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long drying should take, and it's required that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Prior to staining a deck, what are the preparatory steps that are taken?
Careful prepping of the deck and the surrounding environment must be conducted to guarantee a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be cut, and any walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck might need to be cleaned and sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the best stain for your deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from particular stains that will offer your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid generally delivering superior defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has minimal strength, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its hue and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the appearance of your house and yard.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Evanston, IL on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its appearance and delivering unmatched protection from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it turns out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can share when it comes to selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives better versatility in colors and aesthetics and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away under frequent foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from mold and insect damage. It also won't need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining a deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the project. Executing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by hiring an expert who can guarantee stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Evanston, IL and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.