Find Deck Staining in Fairview Heights, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Which season of the year is suggested for carrying out a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll achieve better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck works better while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and cold temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much humidity will extend drying times and heighten the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long curing should take, and it's required that it stays dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
What prep should be done before staining a deck?
Careful preparation of your deck and the surrounding area needs to be conducted to ensure a good finish. Vegetation should be pushed back, and nearby walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be washed or sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the best stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from certain stains that will give your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid usually delivering superior protection from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has minimal durability, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the look of your house and lawn.
Is there a big variance in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting have different advantages, so it's essential to assess which option best fits your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are the extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance due to flaking and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly dried, needs minimal effort to care for, and has other advantages, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering a deep layer of protection from moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that enhance durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is right for your needs.
Can staining my deck give any advantages other than aesthetics?
Staining a deck offers several advantages, including enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a variety of hues and opacities that will help re-energize the look of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you may think by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several choices to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional to deliver excellent results. The weather in Fairview Heights, Illinois is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include stopping insects and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Fairview Heights, Illinois on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its look and delivering long-lasting protection against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures appropriately to safeguard the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can share regarding picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting has more variety of colors and looks and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it peels away under heavy use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and contains pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining any deck demands a practiced hand and careful consideration at every step of the process. Executing the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by hiring a pro who can guarantee stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Fairview Heights, Illinois and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.