Find Deck Staining in Farmer City, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a particular time of year that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve the best results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck works best when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot or cold temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much humidity will extend drying times and raise the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with directions on how long drying should take, and it's required that it remains dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
What steps must be taken before beginning the deck staining process?
Detailed prep of your deck and the surrounding environment must be performed to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be removed, and nearby walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be washed or sanded to allow adequate penetration and sticking.
Picking the right stain for any deck is an important step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors like:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from certain stains that will offer your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid usually providing superior protection from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for minimal durability, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opacity to complement or stand out from the look of your house and grounds.
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have different benefits, so it's important to assess which option most meets your needs when deciding between the two. The two most significant benefits of painting are its wider variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also demands extensive upkeep due to peeling and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly dried, needs minimal effort to maintain, and has more benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering a deep layer of protection from water, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that boost durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which option will be best for your needs.
Why do so many people say deck staining is a smart investment?
Staining a deck provides several advantages, such as enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that will help revitalize the style of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you may think when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional to ensure excellent results. The weather in Farmer City, IL is the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how strong the kind of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting pests and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor Near Farmer City, IL on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for updating its appearance and providing unmatched protection from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to safeguard the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can share when it comes to selecting the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting gives more variety of colors and looks and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it peels away under frequent use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and contains pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years if properly dried.
Staining any deck demands a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the project. Executing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to a professional who can ensure stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Farmer City, IL and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.