Find a Cabinet Painter in Fox River Grove, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Illinois // Fox River Grove
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be restricted by the kind of paint I can use for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will face some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their elegant appearance. Common wall paints will not adhere adequately to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires longer time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my job?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to uncover the best one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of effort. The first place to focus on is by understanding exactly what style you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Check that any professional you consider gives documentation of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. What you don't need is for any surprises to occur once the project commences that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the contractor's dependability by checking their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Will I have to prime cabinets cabinets before painting?
It's always tempting to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grease are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and their hardware, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in many cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only chip away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What things are considered when it comes to the cost of painting cabinets?
There are many things that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Fox River Grove, IL, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters could bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The painter will have to recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job performed.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Refresh Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Fox River Grove, IL
A smart way to enhance the appeal of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-effective choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and give them an updated look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Fox River Grove, IL fluctuates, but some homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets could be in good enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the best cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be happy to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Discover all important information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Fox River Grove, IL confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.