Find a Cabinet Painter in Gifford, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Illinois // Gifford
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter which kind of paint I use for my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that elegant look. Common wall paints may not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer time to dry and cure than those usually used on walls.
How do I determine if I've found the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to find the perfect one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of work. The best place to begin is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Reliable contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget in mind when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Check that any contractor you hire gives written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for any surprises to pop up once the project has started that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Should I just paint over my existing cabinets?
It's always enticing to quickly start painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grease are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and their hardware, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to those edges that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How do you estimate the cost of cabinet painting?
There are many things that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Gifford, IL, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Discover a Cabinet Painter in Gifford, IL Who Can Bring Your Vision to Reality
An exceptional way to boost the appeal of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-effective choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will match your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Gifford, IL varies, but some homeowners have reported spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the planet when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in good enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
While searching for the best cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be willing to show you a history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Locate all the information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Gifford, IL confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.