Find a pro in Glen Carbon, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Which roof style is the most affordable?
The roofing material that's the most budget friendly is going to be asphalt shingles, and just because they are the cheaper product, it doesn’t mean they aren’t good. Truthfully, you’ll see most houses in your area with asphalt shingling on the roof since they are durable and do a great job of protecting your home in addition to being the affordable option. Also, they’re versatile and they’ll look great on any home.
Asphalt shingles do need to be replaced more often than the more expensive materials. They usually have a 15-20 year lifespan. But there is the option to buy higher-end asphalt shingles that do last longer.
When should I replace my roof?
You should replace your roof when repairs just don’t cut it anymore. A roof replacement is needed if you’re putting up with these types of problems:
- AGE: The older your roof is, the probability of it needing to be replaced is more pressing. Asphalt shingles are a regular selection for residential properties and these usually have a lifespan of 15-20 years. When the roof on your home is around this age, it’s a smart choice to get regular inspections so you can determine when a roof replacement is needed.
- SAGGING: When your roof is drooping, it's a sign that the plywood decking is rotted. Sagging is not ideal, and this does mean you need a roof replacement.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof protects your entire home, so there should be no surprise that the materials that make up your roof will deteriorate over time.
What time of year is best to replace a roof?
Despite what time of year it is, you can get a roof replacement. However, fall is the most common time of year for a roof replacement. Since it is a great time for these services, it can be difficult to schedule time with a professional. This means that waiting until winter could be a more convenient time for an appointment.
Many roofing contractors have more down time during the winter, but you could be putting up with more severe weather conditions. Summer is sort of like winter, but rather than being cold, you’d be putting up with hot temperatures.
Spring is also not a bad time for roof replacements. Even though the weather can still be wet and slightly uncertain, it’s beginning to warm up, and any roofing damage you’ve gotten during the winter will be uncovered.
Why is a good roof important?
The reason you want a quality roof is because it protects your home, increases your home's value, and makes your home more energy efficient.
The roof is the protective barrier for your entire property. It defends against harsh weather, falling objects, and more. So if your roof isn't stable, your home could develop some leaks, and this can cause other problems.
Your roof also contributes a lot to your property value. Because it’s such a fundamental part of your home, a roof in good condition shows a reliable property. If you were looking to sell, a buyer would be thrilled about your home if it has a solid, stable roof protecting it.
Finally, everyone is content with an energy efficient house. It means your utility bills are lower and that your house keeps a consistent temperature.
Roofing Maintenance Contractors in Glen Carbon, Illinois
You can look to Thumbtack to make your search for roofing maintenance services more convenient in Glen Carbon, Illinois. Our streamlined site is easy to navigate, so you can search through dozens of profiles and come up with some options. We assist in the vetting process by giving you useful information to ratings, pricing, background, and more. Start your search for a roofing maintenance company on the app and find the right candidate for the job.
Our site also puts together a wealth of information to help you before you start browsing through our network of licensed roofing contractors.
Most of the time you'll know when you need to call in a roofing repair or roofing replacement contractor, but here are some other things about your roof to take into consideration:
- You Are Experiencing Leaks: When your ceiling or walls have water stains, that's a sign of your roof leaking. A good roofer can fix the issue as soon as possible and stop it from getting worse.
- Warps or Buckling: The sheets of wood that make your roof can warp or bend under pressure.
- Built-Up Granules in Gutters: A build up of granules from shingles accumulate in your gutters, and disintegrating shingles are not a good sign. A roofing repair contractor will clean your gutters in addition to inspecting your shingles.
- The Chimney Flashing: For those whose flashing around the chimney is tar you may need to replace it with a water-tight fitting which includes a metal flashing system.
- Damaged or missing shingles: Cracked, warped, or missing shingles should be swapped out with new ones by a roofer. Regular inspections will also help you address problems like this and prevent leaks.
Thumbtack is free to use and provides you a hassle-free way to find the best contractors to address your roofing needs. Whether you’re looking for a roofing replacement company or a repair contractor, your job is made easier through our app.