Find Deck Staining in Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Illinois // Glen Ellyn
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What is the best weather for staining my deck?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining a deck is best while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot and cold temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive moisture can prolong drying times and heighten the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have specifications on how long curing will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
What prep should be performed before staining my deck?
Detailed preparation of the deck and the surrounding environment needs to be performed to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be cut, and any pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck might need to be cleaned or sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Picking the right stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors like:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will provide your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid usually delivering the most protection from water and sun damage. If your wood species has minimal strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the style of your house and lawn.
Will deck staining provide more advantages than painting?
Deck staining and painting have different advantages, so it's essential to consider which option best fits your needs when deciding between the two. The two most significant advantages of painting are its extensive variety of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also needs more upkeep due to peeling and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain will not peel if properly cured, needs less effort to maintain, and has other advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering a deep layer of protection against water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that increase durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is best for you and your home.
Is staining a deck worth the cost if I hire a contractor?
Staining a deck brings many advantages, including enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a variety of colors and opacities that can help reinvigorate the style of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you might suppose by picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional who can guarantee excellent results. The weather in Glen Ellyn, IL is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include stopping insects and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get more out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor Near Glen Ellyn, IL on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for refreshing its appearance and delivering unmatched durability against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to make sure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures appropriately to protect the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that professionals can share regarding picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. While stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting offers better versatility in colors and looks and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it chips away under constant foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from mold and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining a deck demands a practiced hand and careful consideration for every step of the process. Performing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can guarantee stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Glen Ellyn, IL and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.