Find a Cabinet Painter in Golf, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to refresh the look of my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint typically used for home walls will face many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that elegant look. Common wall paints will not adhere adequately to cabinets and can start to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors use for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
How can I find the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to find the best one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. The first place to focus on is by understanding exactly what style you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their past work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and ability. Reliable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Check that any contractor you consider provides written statements of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project commences that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's dependability by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Should I paint my cabinets before sanding?
It's may be enticing to quickly start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt and grease are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its hardware, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
Will it be costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are several things that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Golf, Illinois, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors could charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project finished.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Discover a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Golf, Illinois to Bring Your Ideas to Life
A smart way to increase the value of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter near Golf, Illinois varies, but many customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets might be in decent enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While looking for the best cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable painter will be happy to show you their history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Discover all important information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Golf, Illinois easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.