Find Deck Staining in Granite City, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Which time of the year is recommended for performing a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll achieve better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining any deck works best while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much humidity can extend drying times and heighten the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature directions on how long drying should take, and it's essential that it stays dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
What prep needs to be performed before staining a deck?
Careful prep of your deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be performed to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants should be pushed back, and nearby walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck might need to be cleaned and sanded to facilitate good penetration and sticking.
Selecting the right stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will give your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid usually delivering superior protection from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck has low strength, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the look of your house and yard.
Is there a significant difference in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting offer their own benefits, so it's essential to analyze which option best fits your needs when deciding between the two. The two most significant benefits of painting are the wider variety of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also requires more maintenance due to chipping and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly dried, needs less effort to care for, and has more benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing a deep layer of protection against water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is right for your needs.
Can staining my deck help safeguard it from climate-related damage?
Staining a deck brings many advantages, such as enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that can help re-energize the aesthetic of your house and grounds. You're not as limited as you might think by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor who can guarantee excellent results. The climate in Granite City, Illinois poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the kind of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include stopping pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional in Granite City, Illinois on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its look and delivering unmatched durability against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from water, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. While stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting has better variety of colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it chips away under steady use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and contains pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It also won't need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining any deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration through every step of the process. Executing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can ensure stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Granite City, Illinois and choose the right one matching your needs and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.