Find a Cabinet Painter in Green Valley, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Illinois // Green Valley
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Which type of paint do you use with cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint typically used for home walls will encounter many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that sleek look. Common wall paints will not stick adequately to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors use for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates longer drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my job?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the best one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to start is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work matching what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Check that any professional you hire provides written statements of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's timeline. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project commences that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reputation by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients available online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Should I simply paint over my present cabinets?
It's always enticing to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grease are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their hardware, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to any places that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only flake away and require repainting sooner than expected.
What factors are considered when it comes to the price for painting cabinets?
There are several factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Green Valley, IL, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter will have to recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job finished.
You'll need to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Refresh Your Cabinets for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter Near Green Valley, IL
An exceptional way to boost the value of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will match your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter near Green Valley, IL varies, but many customers still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your present cabinets could be in good enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While looking for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A dependable painter will be happy to show you a history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Find all the information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Green Valley, IL easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.