Find a Cabinet Painter in Gurnee, Illinois
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Illinois // Gurnee
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Which kind of paint is used for cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint typically used for home walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their sleek look. Common wall paints might not stick properly to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint professionals use for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates longer drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
How do I pick the right painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to uncover the most suitable one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of work. The first place to begin is by understanding exactly what aesthetic you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their prior work aligning with your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Reliable contractors would be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Check that any painter you hire gives documentation of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for any surprises to pop up once the project commences that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reputation by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Should I simply paint over my present cabinets?
It's always tempting to quickly begin painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and its hardware, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach any edges that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How do I estimate the cost of cabinet painting?
There are many factors that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Gurnee, Illinois, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's advised to first obtain quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors may charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The painter will need to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job completed.
You'll want to talk about your home's particular cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Discover a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Gurnee, Illinois Who Can Bring Your Vision to Life
A quick way to increase the value of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-effective option over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and deliver a new look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Gurnee, Illinois varies, but some homeowners still report spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors such as the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your current cabinets may be in decent enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When searching for the best cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be willing to show you a history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Find all important information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Gurnee, Illinois confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.